Taking care of mother Earth is important to us, as living a minimal life and caring for the environment are synonymous. Could we be more environmentally friendly? Sure! And we will always look for ways to minimize waste and do as little harm to the environment as possible.
Here are some of the things we are already doing.
- Minimally package products. Use recyclable packaging as much as possible.
- Reuse, recycle or compost all boxes.
- Reuse or recycle paper.
- Drink from a water bottle instead of buying bottled water.
- Ship via ground as much as possible; shipping by air leaves a significantly larger carbon footprint.
- Turn off the lights!
- Think and live minimally.
The bottom line: the less you consume, the less harm you do to the environment. Even recycled material takes a toll on the environment (people commuting to work to support the product, shipping, power to light the warehouse, etc.). It is not truly "sustainable" and is a bit of a marketing gimmick to us.
Buy quality and what you need (vs what you want), and do as little harm to the planet as possible why practicing the above things.
NOTE: We are in the process of using up old polybag packaging and planning on moving to all kraft, custom packaging, which is more easily recyclable than plastic.
For more ideas on being environmentally friendly, consider reading "Let Your People Go Surfing" by Patagonia's founder, Yvonne Chouinard.